CERN IPMC: ipmitool to activate/deactivate blade

Dear Yasu,

Thanks for your email. The CERN IPMC implements all commands from IPMI and ATCA/HPM. I would have thought that it would be easier to send a command to the shelf manager in order to activate or deactivate a given slot. I am adding Stefan in cc, who can probably tell us what the best way and what the exact syntax is.

Cheers,
Ralf.

Dear Ralf and Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your message and prompt reply. It’s very useful.
It is good to know that the CERN IPMC implements all commands from IPMI and ATCA/HPM. I will try to use the command.

I would have thought that it would be easier to send a command to the shelf manager in order to activate or deactivate a given slot
We actually do the board power cycle via Shelf Manager in our regular operation, so I agree with you on this suggestion.
This time, for some tentative reasons, we would like to see if there is an alternative solution instead of the Shelf Manager. ( Excuse me that I did not tell you the entire background for the question. )

Thanks & best regards,
Yasu Okumura

Hello Yasu,

I can confirm that you can also power on/off the payload by sending a command via the Ethernet interface to the IPMC. Unfortunately the ipmitool syntax is a bit complicated, the commands you are looking for are under the picmg subcommand, below is what I use:

Power off:
ipmitool -I lan -H 130.87.243.124 -U “” -P “” picmg policy set 0 2 0

Power on:
ipmitool -I lan -H 130.87.243.124 -U “” -P “” picmg policy set 0 1 0

For some reason the picmg activate command does not work.

cheers,

Stefan

Dear Stefan,

Thank you very much for your reply!!

We noted the following commands and will try to use them :slight_smile:

Power off:
ipmitool -I lan -H 130.87.243.124 -U “” -P “” picmg policy set 0 2 0

Power on:
ipmitool -I lan -H 130.87.243.124 -U “” -P “” picmg policy set 0 1 0

Best regards,
Yasu Okumura

Hi Stefan et al,

on our hardware the activate command directly sent to the IPMC doesn’t work since the ethernet connection of the IPMC is partly on payload power. Sending the same command via the shelf manager works nicely, just add the -t option with the address of the board in the shelf.

cheers

ulf